Friday, May 23, 2014

Learning Python

I really enjoy talking about tech but unfortunately my friends do not, I figured at least I could on my own blog. I have recently, within the past few months, been teaching myself Python with the help of a few resources. I started learning with Coursera's Programming for Everybody which has been good at not only teaching it's curriculum but also provides active discussion forums where I can share my side projects and ask for assistance if I ever feel lost. Whether you wish to take the class or not, I find it's accompanying http://www.pythonlearn.com/ to be a good resource. I have also found Reddit to be helpful in my learning, in particular r/programming and r/python. It may seem obvious but I feel the need to mention that one of the best Python resources available is https://www.python.org/.

So, what have I done with any of my new Python skills? Not much really. I make sure to watch all of the videos on Coursera and I make sure my projects are submitted on time but I haven't been going programming crazy like I expected to. One thing I did make was a Redditbot and though it took a very long time, I completed it, I also learned about something Coursera had yet to address in API. I spent longer learning about API, how to install Reddit's (PRAW) and making a Reddit account for the bot plus getting it karma to bypass captcha's than I did actually writing the code for the bot. The bot searches designated subreddits for keywords and if it finds a keyword it will automatically log in to Reddit and respond. It may not be that advanced of a bot but it's a start, and it's the first time I felt like I was building with Legos without needing the instructions. 


Other Python classes to check out would be the archived A Gentle Introduction to Programming Using Python from MITOpenCourseWare and this September Coursera will be offering An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment