Monday, July 14, 2014

5 Ways How NOT To Care For Your Laptop

I have had laptops brought to me for so many different reasons throughout the years that nothing surprises me anymore, with that being said there are still plenty of occurrences that leave me scratching my head. I feel that the importance of having an antivirus if you are going to use your computer online is at least universally understood so I will avoid software in this post all together.
Whenever I am asked around the start of summer where a good place to get a laptop would be, people are surprised when I tell them that their first destination should be at their local University. Every year for the last five years, in two different states, I have been able to acquire at least two personal computers from graduating college students that were going to throw them away. These are not old, nonworking computers either, the oldest laptop I have gotten was less than two years old and the student was going to just throw it in the trash because they were getting, or had already gotten a newer model. Not all of the laptops that I get are in perfect working order, some are in bad shape from how their user has treated them.
  • Do Not Lift Your Laptop From The Screen. This happens more often than you would hope is possible. I have actually seen on several occasions where a person will have their laptop open and the pick it up by the screen, I can't think of many times in life where you want to lift an object from where it is least durable. Fixing a laptop screen can be a little costly and sometimes a person would rather put that money towards a newer laptop as opposed to fixing an older one. As a person that has fixed multiple laptop screens, the process is far more expensive than it should be at most large chain retailers. Even if your laptop screen breaks, remember that you can still plug into a monitor or television to still use it.
  • Do Not Lift Your Laptop From A Corner. This is a much more costly fix than a screen, lifting the base from a single corner can lead to breaking the laptop case and I have even scene where it breaks a port. More often than not in this situation I do recommend that the person use that money towards a new laptop.
  • Do Not Neglect to Clean Under Your Keyboard. This is more of a hygiene issue than it is a maintenance issue, if you have ever used your laptop while in the bathroom or while you're eating, hopefully not at the same time, then imagine that there is a chance that can transfer to your laptop. You can purchase a can of dry air almost everywhere and for the bigger jobs I recommend a cotton swab damp with rubbing alcohol.
  • Do Not Run Your Battery Constantly. I have seen people torrent on their laptops before while using private trackers, this means to abide by the tracker's ratio requirements they will have to leave their laptops running. If you are going to run your laptop continuously then plug it in and remove the battery, replacement batteries are not exactly cheap and the continued stress could also fry your motherboard. Also try not to leave your laptop running on carpet floors or your bed, vents are usually underneath the laptop.
  • Do Not Open Your Laptop If You Do Not Know About Computers. I am all for a person learning more about a computer but for your own benefit it would be best if you didn't experiment on a laptop. There are several people I know that work on computers that hate, or even refuse to do anything hardware related to them. You can get a cheap older computer to open up, though specs keep getting better, computers still pretty much look the exact same way on the inside as they always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment